Pay back time for the SNP

May 2, 2012

Let me start by stating that I want Independence for Scotland, I intend to vote yes in the referendum in 2014. However in tomorrows coulncil elections I plan to vote for a local independent candidate. This will be my protest to remind the SNP that I am not happy at the way the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012. was forced through the Scot’s Parliament.

This was against the wishes of the general public and to my mind criminalised a section of Scottish society. I said at the time I would not forget that and I won’t when I vote in the local council elections tomorrow. Anyone who witnessed the Glasgow derby at the weekend will have noticed this legislation did not make one bit of difference.

I urge every other football fan in Scotland to do the same. Hopefully this will give the SNP the kick up the arse that they need and ensures that his law is withdrawn before the 2014 referendum.

Make sure you vote but not for th SNP

Comments

1. SparkybhoyHH - May 2, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Hurting the SNP won’t help establish an Independent Scotland

2. SparkybhoyHH - May 2, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Hurting the SNP won’t help establish an Independent Scotland

3. Celtic Warrior - May 2, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Very confused argument tbh. While I agree it is a local election which focuses on local issues, you then say you are wanting to punish the only party that actually gives a damn about Scotland, based on a national issue. The SNP were imo brave to tackle the issue of sectarianism and offensive behaviour. When you read the Mordor websites they also hate the Nats because they are anti-Union. They appear to not appeal to the bigots!

4. Celtic Warrior - May 2, 2012 at 8:47 pm

5. Joe Crawley - May 2, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I would not vote SNP in any election as how can you trust Salmond and his cronies,given half a chance they will always work it up the celtic minded and side with the rangers minded,look at the anti-sectarian bill we were lumped in with the rangers and their anti-catholic sectarian songs

6. Joe Crawley - May 2, 2012 at 9:39 pm

7. Celtic Warrior - May 2, 2012 at 9:54 pm

And do you not know any Celtic supporting bigots? There is absolutely no doubt Rangers and bigotry go hand in hand, but we are not whiter than white. I welcome and applaud the values and moral position of the majority of decent Celtic fans when it comes to intolerance and sectarianism, but I am not daft enough to think we don’t have butters amongst our support. That is why it was right to challenge that type of behaviour Labour have tolerated it for years, the SNP want to remove the cancer. Like I said I am suspicious of Orange Tories and Hoops who think and sing about Irish freedom and don’t give a toss about their own nation. Saor Alba!

• James - May 3, 2012 at 12:23 am

Not a great supporter of Labour but Jack McConnel when he was first minister fought tooth and nail to tackle bigotry and sectarianism.

8. Celtic Warrior - May 2, 2012 at 9:54 pm

• James - May 3, 2012 at 12:23 am

9. happyhoopybhoy - May 2, 2012 at 10:43 pm

It took an English reporter (AT) to tell it as it is and report the true story of what’s.going on in this best little country -unlike the MSM. What chance would we have if we become hostages to all the dark evil forces lurking in all corners of our Scottish society. Can’t believe I’m looking to England for help but the prospect of Christine Grahame and her anti-Catholic cronies imposing their unbridled will upon us just doesn’t bear thinking of.

• Sean - May 3, 2012 at 12:58 am

happyhoopybhoy, I ask myself: what are the prospects, under the current constitution, of building a better society – one in which we don’t rely on a journalist from elsewhere to reveal the truth to our society?

With the current set-up I don’t envisage things improving. Independence can empower us to be better. I see so many people in our community whose potential to contribute isn’t fulfilled as well as many amazing people – @rangerstaxcase, @celticnetwork and @paulmcc12 being excellent examples – showing that we do have the underlying capacity to be great!

A new constitution won’t change everything overnight but it ‘s the first step.

10. happyhoopybhoy - May 2, 2012 at 10:43 pm

• Sean - May 3, 2012 at 12:58 am

A new constitution won’t change everything overnight but it ‘s the first step.

11. Jackie Morrison - May 2, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Are you crazy? The only advances working people have made is due to the Labour and Trade Union movement. An independent Scotland is at best an irrevelence. Our background is working class. When some of us worked hard and joined the professional and business middle class we maintained our roots. That’s why Eastwood is a safe Labour seat. You MUST vote Labour tomorrow.

• James - May 3, 2012 at 12:20 am

I live in North Glasgow. One if not thee poorest areas in western Europe.I have never had ONE Labour candidate near my door to canvas for my vote. They treat the voters in my constituency with contempt. Labour have done nothing to improve the well being of N.Glasgow they are too busy chasing the money vote in places like Eastwood and Newton Mearns.

Labour in Scotland are just Tories with red ties.

• Sean - May 3, 2012 at 12:48 am

Jackie,we have a choice between periodic Tory rule from Westminster interspersed by New Labour now-and-again both tied-up with the institutionally conservative & reactionary Whitehall, or, building a better European nation.

Don’t be conservative yourself and keep trying to fight the battles of the 20th century.

Vote Yes in 2014!

12. Jackie Morrison - May 2, 2012 at 11:23 pm

• James - May 3, 2012 at 12:20 am

Labour in Scotland are just Tories with red ties.

• Sean - May 3, 2012 at 12:48 am

Vote Yes in 2014!

13. dombhoy67 - May 2, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Show your decent by writing the following on the bottom of your ballot paper:

NO TO THE ‘OFFENSIVE BEHAVIOUR AT FOOTBALL…ACT 2012′

It will not spoil your ballot paper.

14. dombhoy67 - May 2, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Show your decent by writing the following on the bottom of your ballot paper:

NO TO THE ‘OFFENSIVE BEHAVIOUR AT FOOTBALL…ACT 2012′

It will not spoil your ballot paper.

15. Michael Bell (@Claymore1314) - May 3, 2012 at 5:44 pm

James – you’d jeopardise THE FUTURE OF YOUR COUNTRY over a shitty disagreement on your rights to sing songs about a country (Ireland) that’s not your own? Really? Are you sure? Think about it, ffs!

For the sane and reason minded, you don’t need told how to vote. SNP 1,2,3 is the obvious choice – there is no substitute!

• James - May 3, 2012 at 6:00 pm

It’s a poxy council election. It’s called a protest vote you obviously don’t read this site enough if you think that is my view.

16. Michael Bell (@Claymore1314) - May 3, 2012 at 5:44 pm