So after an excellent result in Sweden we have one foot in the door of the Champions League group stages and guaranteed minimum of £10m. After watching tonight’s game I believe we will finish the job off next week.
Now you could say that the score slightly flattered us but we scored two goals and despite the chances Helsingborg had which were mainly down to our mistakes they still could not score. Having now watched them throw everything at us I do not believe they are a better side than us nor do I believe they can overturn the deficit.
So what is running through the mind of Peter Lawwell and co at the moment? Are they as optimistic as I and many Celtic fans are and are prepared to give Neil even £3-4m to try and land a player or two or will they stick with the wait till the fat lady sings approach? Which is sensible enough but brings it’s own problems.
The second approach put’s us in an awkward position as the next leg is on the 29th of August leaving us a few days to tie up a couple of players. Clubs will know we are up against time so they may play hard ball and add a few 100K onto any transfer fee.
As for the debt situation the club will have to borrow in any event as you don’t get your CL money till the second half of the season which will make the half yearly accounts look less healthy however the second half yearly accounts will balance the deficit out.
It is my hope and I’m sure I am right that we have already targeted a couple of players and we or they are waiting to see if the Champions league becomes a reality before any negotiations can start.
Which brings me back to the original question, Will the board take a leap of faith and try to open negotiations now or will we wait until the clock is ticking against us ?
As I said the club will have to take on some debt anyway.