Deception does not sit easily with me. When I started this site I knew it was a good idea I just didn’t realise how quickly it would grow. The visitor numbers the site gets now is crazy compared to what I thought it would be. For months now I’ve been struggling with a problem. For better or worse it’s time that the truth came out.
My name is William Brown. I live at XX LumXXXX Street, Balornock, G21 XXX. You might think that it’s crazy releasing that limited info but it is easily found on the internet if you do a ‘Whois’ search. Over the past few years both sevconians and Tal fanzine punters have published my details online. They wanted to shut me up and intimidate me. It did not work.
Years ago I ran a site with a mate, it was called Not The Beeb. It was an ‘old firm’ forum which was meant to bridge the gap. In the most part it worked. 90% of the members loved their clubs but never had any malice towards the other. Unfortunately the 10% were nasty bigots. This was borne out when a combination of bigots from both sides not only published my name and address online but also the names of my wife and two daughters along with the Primary school they attended. I was also attacked because I was honest about suffering from depression. That proved too much.
I finally chucked social networking as it was known then. A few years later I joined Josh Gaffney’s Celtic Talk and met Jackie Campbell/ MarmarisBhoy. We got on well and decided that we should start a new forum called G40 Celtic Chat. The reason was that JC and I were old skool and we just wanted a site that focused on Celtic and not X-Box or PS3 games. We were too auld in the tooth for for that. Josh had built a brilliant community but we were only interested in Celtic. Nothing Else.
I told my wife Katie that Jackie and me were starting a site. She as usual supported me however she was scared that idiots would act like idiots and once again publish our personal info on the web. Funnily enough JC had the same idea, afterall we had decided that we would take the Klan on and expose their sectarian and racist behavior. Therefor I made up an alias ‘James Cameron’. Basically it was a pen name that shielded my family and business from the vile elements in the Rangers support.
For those reasons I decided to keep that pen name when I started The Celtic Network. As I said at the start I never expected the site to grow so fast. However it has.
For a good while now I have started to feel uncomfortable regarding using a ‘pen name’. The site has allowed me to meet so many decent people that I started to feel that I was carrying out a deception. There are some who always knew my real name but that was only because I knew I could trust them.
I know that most people will realise that there was no deception meant but It’s time to come clean. I had this mad idea that I could phase Jas out as you can see from the recent blog. But I would still be living a lie kidding on that Jas Cam was real. That disnea sit well with me.
Anyway. My two girls are adults now with their own successful lives and are hardly in the house. I don’t need to protect them in the same way. Due to that basic fact my wife is now comfortable with me using my real name. As for me I respect people like Tommy Sheridan and Neil Lennon who stand up for what they believe is right. Therefore I will now do the same. I will continue to name and shame bigots and racists, I’ll continue to challenge the Celtic board , Police Scotland, Politicians and those who think Celtic FC is a political vehicle for remembering the troubles. I’m Scottish , I’m from the Irish but most importantly I’m William Brown and I support Celtic FC.